Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Summer Review


The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

Every once in a while you pick up a book because of all they hype.  I admit, I'm usually the one who rebels against whatever everyone else is doing.  It's just my nature.  So, when everyone was talking about "The Last Lecture" I firmly chose not to watch any of it.  

The hul-a-baloo surrounding this Randy Pausch is in the past, but not so much from my mind.  I'll give him this, he struck a chord within me that didn't let me forget about him or his book.  So, I bought the book.  I figured the money was at least going to go to his wife and children, right?

Okay, I am going to admit I'm blown away.  This book was really wonderful.  This man really was something special.  Now I understand why everyone was so eager to interview him and air his lecture and talk about his book.  This is a man who got it.  This is a man who got it in a way that I truly believe I never even thought was possible.

I can't really spoil this book for anyone because his story is pretty much out there, but to read a book written by a man who is dying seems like such a sad thing to do.  This man may have had a terminal illness, but he was living.  Living life fully and joyously.  Who does that!?  Why don't we do that?!  

I am in awe of the simplistic advice that will forever alter the way I choose to think about things.  Nothing earth shattering, nothing beyond reality, but honest good old-fashioned thinking that will change you from the word go.  

Here's just a few of the treasures I'm savoring from this book today.

"I don't believe in the no-win scenario"

"Today, right now, well this is a wonderful day."

"People are more important than things"

"The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough."

"You don't repair things if they still do what they're supposed to do"

"Not everything needs to be fixed"

"Time must be explicitly managed, like money."

"You can always change your plan, but only if you have one."

"Ask yourself:  are you spending your time on the right things?"

"Complaining does not work as a strategy.  We all have finite time and energy.  Any time we spend whining is unlikely to help us achieve our goals.  And it won't make us happier."

There are so many more quotes and lines and phrases that I've notated in my book that I cannot possibly share them all with you.  What I will share is that I believe this book should be required reading for everyone.  It will make you think, it will make you smile, it will make you cry.  It might just make you a better human being.  I know it has made me one.

Let me know if you have read it or if you plan to read it.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I would like to read this, but I'm afraid I'll get weepy. Will I?

Two Pretty Little Skirts said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting!
Have a great night!

Dawn