
The Namesake: A Novel
Written By: Jhumpa Lahiri
Gogul Ganguli, the name, the boy, the teen, the man. This story revolves around Gogul Ganguli who is born to a Professor and his wife who immigrated from India to the United States. This book follows Gogul's life, not just merely telling a story.
Ashima, Gogol's mother, longs for her life before moving. She misses her family, her culture, her life. Ashoke, Gogol's father and the man who gave him his name, suffers a a train wreck and seems to struggle as to how to relate to his son at times.
The story centers around Gogul, his growing up in America but surrounded by and rejecting his Bengali traditions. We follow him through his schooling, adolescence, and college years. He tries desperately to find his place in the world, to fit in, to love and be loved.
I loved this book for so many reasons. The characters are each fully developed so that you adore and admire each of them in their own right. I wasn't certain if I would be able to enjoy and relate to this story, life, due to the cultural differences but I was wrong. We all have family traditions, obligations, areas that are assumed for us and we all struggle to separate ourselves, to distance ourselves both physically and emotionally to prove and state our independence.
I must admit that as I neared the end of this fabulous story, I was saddened by the turn of events that take place. But, in retrospect I am in awe. This author has given us a story of a man's life which begins with the lives of his parents and leaves us wondering and wanting for more. It is not tied in a pretty bow, but real life is not either, and for this I respect and admire this author for taking chances.
I highly recommend this book. I don't think that you will be disappointed. Of course, as a follow up to the novel, I will be finding the DVD as well.
Read an interview with the author HERE.
Preview this book HERE.
2 comments:
Hi Suzann, it does sound like a good read. I hope you are enjoying your
Sunday.
I enjoyed reading your blog today.
I love all the new blogs
I have found. Quite a unique group.
I love making new blogging friends..
I have several Disney posts already on my blog and have several more to post. Hope you will stop by for a visit.
Post a Comment