Friday, May 29, 2009

Random Babble


Okay, so I've got an awful lot of "stuff" on my plate these days.  The house, the kids, work, blah blah blah.  On top of it all, 5 months of 2009 have come and gone and I haven't accomplished any of my personal goals.  How does this happen?  Why does this happen?  Frankly, I'm furious about it.  Everything around me gets taken care of but my personal goals just sit, written on that danged piece of paper begging to have some attention paid to them.  Does this happen in your world?  What do you do about it?  If you're like me, you just keep plugging along, promising yourself that you will take care of "you" next month, next week, on this date, etc.  Then you wake up and find yourself staring into the mirror wondering who is looking back at you.  
I have really looked at myself closely lately and I'm not happy.  It's time to snap out of it.  No more excuses.  No more empty promises.  So, I'm ready to roll forward.

I've armed myself with some books, some new DVD's, and a plan.  Not a crazy plan, nothing that is going to stress me out, but giving myself the power to succeed.  



People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan.

So, I'm planning.

I've grabbed some highly recommended books.  The Skinny Bitch Series both their books and DVD's.  I've got a couple of Jazzercise DVD's (I love Jazzercise), Lisa Rinna DVD's, of course Jillian Michaels DVD's AND books, and all my old stand-by workout "stuff".  

I love my treadmill, but it's definitely not enough.  I've let everything about me slide and I just feel icky.  So, I'm starting over on June 1st.  It's a fresh start for me.  One day at a time.  I'm excited, I'm confident, I'm determined.

Anyone else feel like they need a change?  Eat better?  Move more?  Drink more water?  Take better care of themselves?  Lose Weight?  Spend more time doing something you love?  


Have you ever found yourself in this place?  Did you make a change?  

Oh, do leave a comment and tell me your story.  Have you always made yourself a priority?  Have you felt like me?  What did you do?  Do you know someone else who has?  

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I NEED a change! But not something I could put on a blog! :) I just think you start by placing one foot in front of the other. And don't get down on yourself when you stumble along the way. Just keep going. I can hear Nori from Finding Nemo saying, "just keep swimming... just keep swimming." ;0)

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I feel like this a lot. But after my 50+ years on earth, my top priority is to enjoy ..... enjoy my food, enjoy my exercise; enjoy my chore list, enjoy my lounging in the garden swing! I don't think I'll ever accomplish everything that I want, but I no longer stress about it. Breathe deeply, love well, and enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I love Sandy's response...I used to stress all of the time about what I ate and I ran many miles a week to make sure I stayed in shape...then when my baby was born things chagned, my focus changed, but i never forgot about myself, I still walk several times a day with my baby, exercise makes me feel human again and I take time to go ou with my girlfriends at least a couple times a month. I also find time on the weekend to do something I love, whether it be painting something, re-arranging the house, cleaning (shh,I know that is weird) or watching a TV show I taped from the weekend. Sure there are lots of things I want to do, but I can only accomplish the small goals I set each week and that makes me feel good. I wish you success in starting to do things for yourself...oh and I used to teach Jazzercise...so you go girl!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzann! Yes yes yes! I can relate to all of what you said. This is what I found worked for me: Friday is my day unless someone is bleeding or on fire I do only what I want to do even if its absolutely nothing and it is always take out food for dinner! And on other days I took scheduled "coffee breaks" as if I were still working 9-5.(although they were 1/2hr and 1hr long ones) I've learned finally there are no Home Invasion Police coming to inspect my cleanliness, decor, or fitness program! I'm much calmer now that I have the right frame of mind! Self help books never helped me in the long run but they in themselves were a "coffee break" read!!lol I wish I could remember which one it was but books about "Perfectionism" helped the most in every area! Now that I'm back at work full time my Friday will be Sunday Afternoon! Just work on the perfectionism thing (cuz I know you have it!!!) and SIMPLIFY is my best advice! - Sincerely, Jeannette BTW I've even learned to take blog posting pressure off the list too! This is the one that helped the most recently!lol

Angela said...

Yes yes! I can definitely relate. In my case, I am great at making lists of things. Not so great at finishing things, so they pile up and just stress me out further.

A few months ago I was where you are. Fed up and determined. I started the Jillian Michaels program and can recommend it highly. LOVE it. I have fallen off the wagon the last two weeks with an illness and some travel, but will be back on next week. Not throwing a pity party for myself, just moving forward and getting back on track. It is a lifestyle, not a race!

You CAN do it! Keep us posted as you go - that seems to help me with the accountability when I am trying to stay on track.

And I agree with others - let GO of perfectionism. Easier said than done, I know - but our determination to be perfect or nothing at all is what keeps us stuck. I could let my last two weeks "off" become a pattern, but I am not gonna do that. So when life gets in the way of your goals, don't let it derail you permanently. Just say, that's okay, but keep moving forward. Yay you!!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

No I haven't always made me a priority and I'm usually sorry later as I always seem to get ill or something happens to me. So I've learned to make time for myself. I always tell myself that I can squeeze a half hour of exercise in and most times an hour.

I've got the 30 day shred by Jillian and it kicks butt!! 20 hard minutes!

Manuela

Momma-of-5 said...

me too! me too! me too!
Yes, I ran a 1/2 marathon at the beginning of the month, but since then...NOTHING. I feel like yuck. I keep saying I'm going to get up early and run...and I keep sleeping "late" (if 6:30 is considered late). but I love the idea of starting over mid-year. 6/1. Monday. I'm digging deep.

1) More water
2) Less TV
3) Scrapbook at least 1x a week
4) Run/Exercise/whatever 3x a week

There you have it.

=)

p.s. Yes, we go to an AG church here in Jersey. I didn't grow up AG, but my hubby did.

nikkicrumpet said...

I wish I had an inspirational story...but I've gone to hell in a handbasket...so the only inspiration I have is....DON'T BE LIKE ME!

The Feathered Nest said...

Hi sweet Suzann, I'm the exact same way!!! I put everyone and everything else first...but truthfully, to care for yourself, you have to be just a little bit selfish! My girlfriend Dawn has lost 120 lbs, gained back 60 and has now lost 30 again...but all because she is stingy with her walk every day!!! She walks 4 to 5 miles a day and eats a certain amount of calories....she is VERY conscious of what she eats too! I need to begin myself, I need to lose about 10 or 70 lbs myself!!! Just always putting other things in front of that....don't worry, we are all here in the same boat...but we do have to be assertive and take control of what goes in our mouths and how active we are!!! I'm so very glad that you were pleased with the pincushion sweetie...I loved making it!!! Thank you for inspiring me to try harder to take care of myself ~ hugs and love, Dawn