“If time were a color, I bet it would be a tasteful off-white."
Greg Parrish
American Golden Age Illustrator, 1870-1966
So, we know I've struggled and questioned and pondered and cried and struggled some more over this crazy house and what to do, how to decorate, what's my style, what's the right choice, etc. I have driven myself insane, my husband, my friends, my family, and well, everyone.
I even forced myself to make a choice, bought the paint and told myself that was it. No way out now. Except, I wasn't happy. I wasn't being true to myself.
A wonderful gal, Diana at The Devine Home, gave me the best advice ever. She told me to look to the photos I've collected and I will have my answer. I really pondered this. Could it be so simple? Honestly, it was. I have collected magazine photos and photos on the web that made my heart go pitter patter. Guess what they all had in common? WHITE.
The color white. Boring, right? Well, I admit, I struggled with this. But, white is truly a great color. It reflects light making spaces feel brighter and larger.
White is timeless and traditional but it can also be contemporary. Everything looks great with white.
But, this choice wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination. The night before Bryon was going to paint, he made me choose the paint color that was going on the wall. He made me write it down. He made me put the can of paint in the room. In the middle of the night I woke up and realized I had made a dreadful mistake. I went to the room, took the can of paint and hid it. I tore up the piece of paper. (yes, I am that pathetic)
Of course, in my world, the troubles couldn't end there. There had to more fun before the paint went on the walls. The priming was complete and Bryon was ready to put the first coat on the walls. As we were edging (or cutting in) I couldn't help but think that the color doesn't seem right. It seems off. So, I grabbed my sample can and the gallon and dabbed them side by side and nope, they didn't match. The lovely folks at Home Depot who said they could match the Sherwin Williams formula were wrong - their computers lied. So, I had to dash off to Sherwin Williams. Of course, I brought my trusty sample quart with me. The young lad whipped up my gallon and I the paranoid and ragged looking lady with paint on her fingers made him put my sample next to the gallon he just whipped up for me. Another lesson learned, different sheens produce slightly different colors. So, the happy lad got to whip up another gallon of paint for the ragged crazed lady. But, the paint color was perfect.
So, we got the room and the hallway and closets painted and I love love love the color. I am so happy that I listened to my heart and went for it. I'm excited about moving forward to the decorating phase now. But, first I have to clean up the mess that is all over the house from emptying 3 closets and an entire room. The things we hang on to and stuff in closets is rather interesting when you think about it. But, I did manage to get things organized and I threw out a few things too. Not quite done with these areas, but being able to put a few things away and clear the clutter from the rest of the house sure is a relief.
Not quite ready to show pictures of the fresh spaces, but soon. So, in the meantime I'll share some very delightful photos that have made me smile.






5 comments:
I agree. WHITE is wonderful! I love it too. It just makes everything look so clean, airy and bigger. Great choice!
Thanks so much for your kind email! :) I LOVE that kitchen!!! :)
White rocks...and I always thought that it was funny how you collected pictures of white things...your blog posts were filled with white pictures, yet you said you didn't want white :) Sometimes the answer is right before our eyes and we don't see it ourselves. I personally think you'll love it. The color you chose is very much like the one we have in our home it is called "old parchment" it's a "warm white" I love it! I think you will too!
I love all those built-in shelves! That is my dream kitchen. And as much as I like white, I can't stand to clean it! Someday, when all the little fingerprints aren't all over my walls, maybe then...
Cannot wait to see the new look!
Hey Suzann!
So glad you love your white. Creating the home of our dreams really is as simple, and difficult, as knowing ourselves.
Diana
The Devine Home
Post a Comment