Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tales from the Treadmill


Okay, being honest, I haven't been to the gym in a while.

And once you get out of the routine, sometimes it is difficult to get back into it.

It's no secret that 2010 is my year of change.

So, I'm back at the gym. Everyday - without fail.

So, while you're on the treadmill (bike, elliptical, whatever) you can't help but people watch.

Come on - we all do it!

First, I looked like a complete dufus (yes, that's a word) because my card wouldn't work in the locker room. I had to ask for help and then it still didn't work. Now, normally this would send me into a tailspin and I would have high tailed it right out of there, but I didn't. I have determination.

So, once I finally get upstairs to the gym, you have to choose your machine. I had already determined that I would start on the bike and move on from there. But, who do you sit by? Or not sit by. These are very important decisions ya know.

Finally I begin my workout, crank up the tunes and start watching people. (they are more entertaining than the walls of televisions to see - for sure!).

First, I saw the cutest couple in the world. They were definitely older, and asian. Each one was maybe 5 feet tall. She had these tiny bird legs and was just pleased as pie on the treadmill. He was a little dynamo. Bike, elliptical, treadmill. Then he walked over to his wife and said something and she kinda shoo'ed him away. He left with his head hanging down a bit. Then she went over and gave me a wee hug and all was better. Too cute for words.

Then there was the 80's exerciser. I swear there is always one. Today it was a gal. She was rocking some 80's looking gym shorts (complete with white piping) and good old tube socks. and I'm not sure what kind of shoe she had on, but it was definitely not your typical Nike. And of course, she had on the headband. She really thought she had it going on too. Walking sideways and backwards on the star climber.

Then to her left on the elliptical was the italian stallion. OMG this guy was a hoot! He had on very very tight Addidas type pants (hanging low) and a white tank top and lots and lots of gold. We're talking chains a plenty here. And the gel in his hair was out of control. And he walked with that swagger that just makes you laugh out loud.

Shortly after spotting him I saw the cutest older gentleman. He looked like he should either be on the tennis court or his yacht. He was wearing white dress shorts, a polo, and a sweater vest. He did have on white sweatbands on each wrist and one on his head as well. And the cutest looking boat type shoes. With his full head of grey hair he just looked like he should be at the country club.

And my last sighting was the diva girl. These are always the most puzzling. They are the ones that come in dressed like they are going to work out, but that's it. If they ever worked up a sweat, their faces would melt. She had a full face of make-up, right down to the ten pounds of lip gloss. I am always so perplexed by this. You can't possibly workout like that, can you?


7 comments:

Mumzie said...

I'm laughing so hard I can't hardly type. I've done the same thing, can't remember my combination, so turn around and leave. Oh, I notice everyone, but don't take notes....but do think like you wrote it. LOL LOL LOL Mumzie :) I'm going back in the morning...to the gym that is!

Faye said...

you are funny~~ And so true!! I am going another route this year and NOT going to the gym rather bought a treadmill for the house and am going to work on things on my own....so, we will see... soon as I have gotton rid of this sinus infection.... keep me motivated!~ Faye

Heather said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I love it!

All this people watching takes your mind off of your own workout, doesn't it? Girl, you'll be the next diva for sure.

Or would you rather be the 80's girl? I've got some stuff you can borrow, left over from Isabel's party :)

Yay for determination! Yay for Suzann!

Unknown said...

Ha!! After my third baby, I gave up thinking I was going to make it to pilates class or the gym anymore and bought a nice treadmill to use in the privacy of my own home! Now I just need to actually get on it a little more :)

Happy New Year to you Suzann!

:) T

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

I needed a good laugh today and boy did I ever laugh through your post! Funny, funny, girl!
I could just visualize all those people and yes people watching are about as fun as bird watching sometimes. My hubbie is a cop and he profiles people when we are out and I am diagnosing them, like hypothyoidism, low-estrogen, etc. LOL

You go girl to get in a gym every day. That takes alot of determination. I haven't been to one. We usually just walk alot here but only in the summer cause it's cold outside now. So, my jeans are getting a little belly roll, especially this week, just sitting around watching TV and eating and stitching.
But next week I go back to my job, which is like a treadmill pace so, I'm enjoying it.

No, I don't why they would wear all that makeup if you are going to sweat. They are probably just looking for a date their or something...LOL

Jennifer

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

oh, I forgot to tell you that we bought a stepping kinda thing for exercise about 7 years ago. It's been in our basement and quite large. I wish it was a treadmill but it only is a stepper thing and it hangs wet clothes to dry very well.....honestly, never been used.
Jennifer

Martha said...

I enjoy people watching too...we are a family of people watchers...