
The other day I was reading this post and I had an incredible "aha" moment.
I am a habitual organizer. I read about it, worry about it, stress over it, endlessly think about it.
When I think about the money I have spent on books and "stuff" to use to organize my "stuff" it really stresses me out.
Silly huh.
I did not want to put out too many decorations for Christmas.
It was a difficult year for me for many many reasons.
But honestly, I didn't miss it all. There were even quite a few things that I realized I really don't even like.
I have even been having this secret fantasy about getting everything all neat and organized after the kids go back to school.
But after reading this post, I realized that I'm just organizing more "stuff" when I what I should be doing is eliminating it.
For the first time in ages I am really really excited!
I know that all the "stuff" I keep hanging on to is literally making me sick.
I need to eliminate, not organize.
Do you ever have incredible realizations that excite you beyond words???
I'd love to hear about something that changed your life or the way you look and think about things.
4 comments:
Suzann...I JUST discovered your blog and reading what you just wrote made me immediately think I was reading something I myself had just written! We think EXACTLY alike! THAT realization excited me beyond words. I, too, stress about getting and keeping my house organized and free of clutter. I put up a lot less Christmas decor this year (and loved it)and like you have countless organizing books, articles, etc. My "aha" moments came reading the BEST and most helpful books on organizing by Sandra Felton. My life has changed the past 6 months after sending for 3 of her paperbacks: ORGANIZING FOR LIFE (subtitle:declutter your MIND to declutter your world), ORGANIZING MAGIC, and THE MESSIES MANUAL(through Amazon I think). Suzann, I couldn't read enough from these 3 quick-reading books. Sandra Felton says we have to change the way we THINK about the things we hold on to but want to get rid of by getting to the root of why we keep the clutter. She says greater than discipline & willpower is the power of WANT! I WANT a clean house more than anything. I WANT it so badly I will focus on that desire to make it happen. You will love the way she thinks and you will be so motivated that NOTHING will stop you from having that lovely home where friends will be inspired to have a home like yours. I couldn't put the books down. My husband and two grown kids (both married and living nearby) love what I've done to our home in the past few months. I'm not putting it off any longer, like I use to. I'm taking PICTURES of things I have saved in boxes or keepsakes of my kids when they were little but no longer want. Now I easily "let go" of things when I have a picture of an item which I can look at easily. Sandra Felton says we waste valuable time THINKING about getting rid of (eliminating) & organizing our homes. I could go on and on but will stop here. I've already thanked the Lord that I found your blog from My Romantic Home blog.
When Joe and I were first married, we moved NINE times until we ended up here in the house we love.
All that moving was a lot of work, but it kept me from saving too much "stuff", b/c it made even more work to have to move it.
That being said, now that we have lived in this house for eight years we have started to accumulate more stuff. When I put away the Christmas decorations, we went through our storage room and got rid of a lot of it. You're right; it is a great feeling! (Although the garbage man is going to HATE us!)
I got your text last night; I'm so glad to hear you had such a great 2nd day! This is my last busy day for a few, so I'll be in touch. Hoping today is another great day for you, chicka!
I've been thinking the same way! As I deconstructed Xmas at my house, I put some things into boxes meant for a yard sale this spring. (Now I just have to stop myself from buying more stuff at other yard sales!)
A big "AHA" moment for me recently was when I made the decision to simplify my life mentally. That meant giving up certain things that took my time and energy so I could devote that time and energy to down time for myself. Aging, you know! Another part of that simplifying was letting go of "friends" that were a lot of work: you know, the kind that never return phone calls, seem to only want to do things with you if nothing better is in the cards -- the ones that are WORK! So, I adopted a "Don't make a priority that which considers you an option! way of life.
I did this all prayerfully and without anger or bitterness. It's been hard to do and it's sad at times. But it's helped me to focus on better things!
I've been making that my daily task and never getting to it. But I fully relate that all this stuff uncluttered adds to stress levels, well, not my husbands's. Cluttered house doesn't phase him one bit but he was a bachelor for 44 years so I digress.....LOL
But, I have an insane inability to throw away or give away stuff. I'm a pac rat to the fullest. I read somewhere that it helps to take a picture of the things that have memories and keep in a book. That way you still can look it if you want to but donate the items.
I haven't pulled myself to do it yet but I have stuff from way long ago. Problem is my husband is also a pac rat and you can imagine that.
I agree that moving can really cause cleanouts but I hope I don't have to move anytime soon.
Simplifying was my only resolution this year and I plan to get with it to clean up.....after I cozy by the fire a while on my week off! LOL
Jennifer
Post a Comment