During my pregnancy I was petrified I would have a daughter. I was okay with a boy, but girls are, well, moody and emotional. I was raised to believe that you couldn't be moody or emotional. My mother was a tough cookie. She tolerated no whining, crying, or feelings typical of girls.
I found out I was going to have a girl and was petrified. Would she and I battle like my mother and I ? Would she resent me? Could I be a positive role model for her? Would she hate me?
Yes, we argue. She's 15, I'm her mother, it's inevitable. But, we're becoming friends. She is realizing that I was once a girl, 15 years old. Not so long ago I went to the same school that she now goes.
She and I shopped and shopped for just the right dress and shoes (hers are the middle pair). It was a painful but wonderful experience. We tried on clothes and laughed. We looked at clothes and argued. We went from store to store, mall to mall. It was exhausting. But we found it, the perfect Homecoming Dress.
I'm trying to teach her to choose clothes that flatter HER body, not what looks good on a hanger. I'm teaching her to take the time to do things right but not to over-do it. She's learning to coordinate an outfit that allows her beauty to shine. She's learning to be self-confident. She learned that her mom can be fun when we spontaneously pierced our cartilages together while shopping at the mall.
My daughter. I fell in love with a girl and now she's a young woman.
3 comments:
So sweet! She's beautiful. Good job, Mom. =)
Audra
Sweet post. Your pics are so beautiful and lovely!!
Your daughter is very pretty.
These are the hardest years I can attest to that. Mine is now 21.
Jennifer
You are making me cry over here!
This is my favorite post of yours, ever.
Your daughter is blessed to have you as a mother; you've obviously done something right to have such a beautiful girl, inside and out.
What a blessing to have such a great relationship! I pray for the same for Isabel and myself; so far, so good.
Post a Comment