Sunday, October 12, 2008

Not All Whites Are Created Equal


Well, one of my very favorite colors is white. But, not all whites are created equal. I'm trying to pick the perfect white color for my trim and doors and then of course there are my cabinets too. My goodness is there white paint! You have Bright White, Ultra White, Extra White, Super White, Atrium White, White Dove, Snow, Decorator White, and Pure White ~ just to name a few.

I feel like I'm on white overload. LOL.

How do you pick the right white? The perfect white? What makes the white you choose the white for you?

This is where I turn to you all, my blogger friends. What white is right for you? How did you choose it? Why do you love it? Have you found one paint brand better than others for trim?

I hope that you can help me pick just the right white for the job.



14 comments:

Rachel said...

White is so hard. I buy just a white paint that has no color added. It's as pure as white can be. I like it on my trim, but I'd probably never paint a wall because it's a very white white.
Good luck with your color choice.

Joy said...

Okay, that was really my comment. I hate it when I forget to check my identity. ;~)

nikkicrumpet said...

This one is an easy one for me. I love Behr paints Ultra white...its a clean pure white and their paint isn't expensive but it goes on really nice. It's a Home Depot exclusive paint so you have to get it there. But it has the best ranking for interior paint and I've found it's the best.

Anonymous said...

Depends what effect you want to create and on the other existing colors in the room. Personally I experience a bright white as too harsh and cold. That reminds me more of a hospital then an inviting home. What I do like is if a white has a tiny bit of color mixed in it. It seems to be white but is just warmer. And you can play with different shades of it.

In one room I have had couple of whites together. In our new house we have 3 different whites together in different shades of the same color mix (hope that makes sense) One brighter then the other, but none of them is a pure white.

Heidi said...

I cannot advise you on paint since I live in Europe but I would say if you want and need warmth around you, be sure to pick the warmest white tones you can find. White can feel cold otherwise. I used a color called Katoen (cotton) on our hall walls and it is a very warm white even though it has a greyish tinge to it. See, I am no help at all am I?

Hugs ~
Heidi

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I had the same problem about a year ago. I had very white high gloss and wanted to tame it down a bit. I went for a off white or cream if you must. Its toned down now and is a semi gloss. Not so bright and shiny now. I did my cabinets the same and love them. It is so much work when you change out the trim.... never knew you had so much. good luck picking out the perfect white for you~

Shannon said...

White is so hard to find! I prefer an off white, almond color for trim and doors because it is softer and usually easier to find. :)

Liz Harrell said...

I just picked the whitest one I could find, I really didnt want anything with a brown tint to it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzann! I can tell you what brand I like Valspar but as far as white, I intended to buy white this weekend and ended up with a pretty light shade of grey! I had an issue with the white woodwork not looking the same as the walls and didn't want to paint everything!lol I'm sure someone out there will give you better info than me!lol I completely understand the many shades of white thing!!! Have fun - Jeannette

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

There are a lot of whites! Some look yellow when you use them, some pink, some beige! I just use a standard bright white for my trim (I have yellow walls). Good luck - it really is hard to choose!

Manuela

Connie said...

Hi Suzann,
Whites...arrgh! So tough, why can't they all but just white like our old crayola crayons. Don't give us a bazillion choices. But if they must here are a few that I find work with everything.

Of course it all depends on if you want a warm or cool undertone. Yellow, creme, & pink undertones are going to warm it up.

While blue, gray & green undertones are going to make your space feel cool.

I tend to lean toward to warmer whites, it just makes your room seem homeier. Stark whites tend to work better with contemporary styles.

I've always used Sherwin Williams the majority of the time, only because my Dad has always used them and their price point is better than some others, it goes on well and the colors are pretty true to the samples.

My favorites from Sherwin Williams are: Creamy, Dover White, Alabaster, Antique White, Moderate White. I'll send some more when I find my Ben Moore deck.

I do know that Sherwin Williams-Softer Tan looks really good on cabinets that are being repainted. Good luck and I can't wait to see the results.
Connie

A Creatif Solution said...

Hi Suzann,
I recently painted my house and like you I wanted a white trim, but not WHITE. I found one that appears to be white but just a little softer. The paint is MAB Paints and the color is cotton blossom 98460PG. The paint is excellent, the colors have depth to them, crisp and clear. I used satin finish on the walls and semi-gloss on the trim, making them easy to clean. I hope this helps.
Marsha

AshleyL. said...

there is something so clean, fresh, and simple about white and all of the varying hues. i love this color, and i can't quite place my finger on why...

SusieJ said...

I used Dover White... I wish I had used Alabaster... both from Sherwin Williams.