Monday, October 6, 2008

The Nightmare In My House...

Well, I said I'd share photos of the disaster we affectionately named "Ugly House" which is where we reside.   Now, if you're logical you're probably asking yourself, why on earth would somebody buy a house that they think is ugly.  Simple, it was the ONLY house available in the neighborhood we wanted and we were behind the 8-ball.  Plus, we've renovated houses before, so no big deal, right.? WRONG! We had NO idea what we were getting ourselves into.

Brief summary...about 3 months after we moved in, the hot water heater exploded and consequently flooded the entire lower level, causing us to completely gut the entire downstairs. We were secretly thrilled as it was beyond hideous down there, but what lurked behind the walls was worse than we ever could have imagined.

Move ahead to the summer of 2008. We attempted to paint our master bedroom. It was a very dark mocha brown color, with lots of wall patches hidden (not so well) underneath layers of paint. The windows were original 1972 as was the door leading to the deck, the storm door, and the metal painted white closet bi-fold doors. Can you say yummy? So, we painted it a very pale green color and wallpapered the wall behind the bed. We sanded and patched and sanded and patched some more, replaced the windows, the door, etc. We instantly knew we hated the whole thing, but we figured we'd just live with it for a while. Then the paint started peeling in huge chunks off the wall. For no reason whatsoever. Never seen anything like it. So, hubby said, that's it, we're gutting it and doing it right.

As you can imagine I'm thrilled that we're going to have a room that we can actually enjoy, but ugh the work. And what lurks behind those walls??? Well, yup, apparently they were here too. If I could, I would have run from the house screaming and pulling my hair out in big chunks, but I refrained. I just put on my mask and my gloves and tore that room down. It's not a glamorous job, but somebody's got to do it.

Now, if you look closely you can see the little trail that the buggers made and their mess they left behind. I believe they're gone and gone for good as I have sent them packing (okay, I sent most of them to an early grave, but I've found their entrance and it's been eliminated).

These photos may scare ya, but it's not for Halloween, it's my life, my home, my bedroom. It's my nightmare.



This is the "green room"  - it's difficult to tell in the picture but it wasn't pretty people.

In this picture you can see our attempt at making the room work, but there was just too much green (for me anyways).Bye Bye Green Room.  You won't be missed by me.  No way - Adios!  Farewell!
Okay, if you look closely (I'm relatively certain you can click on the photo to enlarge) you can see on the left side the rodent's trail down to his home near the electrical box. 







Yes, this would be mouse poop.  They have no class and just do it right there for all the see.  Yes, this is also the mouse house.


More destruction, uh construction, uh okay, it's a mess people.  LOL.

Another view of the mouse house.  And folks, mine is NOT the house for mouse.

Mickey don't live here no more!  Can you say disgusting?

Well, that's it for today.  I'll show more as the job progresses.  Not getting much done right now during the week because we have a guy out on vacation which means I'm needed at the shop and hubby is working extra long hours.  Oh, the joys of being a business owner.  Does my fun ever end?




11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor you. I hope you got rid of the mice. I had once troubles with mice in an apartment, the little buggers came back no matter what. I got myself a cat and that solved that problem pretty much.
Looking at the work you are doing, I'm sure your bedroom will progress from nightmare to a dream of a room in no time :)

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I love the way you've told the story and made a really tough job humorous!! It will definitely be worth all of the hard work when you walk into your new beautiful room!

Have a great evening!!

Hugs,
Erin

Made In The South said...

Oh my...Well glad to know little mouse is gone. Can't wait to see it finished.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Ooh my goodness. I sure admire your humor while explaining the situation. So sorry you've been through so much. Hopefully this will be one of those stories everyone laughs at while attending your 50th wedding anniversary party. Hee-hee. Good luck...we'll all look forward to the 'Big Reveal'.
M.L.

Inspired Kara said...

Sadly, this reminds me of that Money Pit movie. EEEK!

I HATE mice. I had them in my last place. You could hear them chewing in the walls, it was AWFUL.

Anonymous said...

Just think how pretty it will be!!!! Keep thinking... pretty pretty pretty....smile!

Anonymous said...

Morning Suzann! Oh the possibilities; just keep tellin yourself that! Keep the big picture in mind! I fear if I put any more layers of paint on my walls they will be peeling in chunks too!lol truly that is a fear! Now I know what you meant when you commented to me that you were "trying to make this house a home"! You'll get there. Oh and if you like Halloween Matthew Mead has a really nice publication out just for Hallow. I almost bought it but picked another mag instead (trying to overcome my mag addiction!lol) He always has good ideas! Have a great day - Sincerely, Jeannette

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Ugh, I feel for you. I had two mice/rats who took up residence in my garage once...did $500 worth of damage under the hood of my SUV where they made a nest...despite the fact it was driven daily!!! Then they moved to the corner of the garage...where I uncovered them. They don't come back to my garage but they still hang out under my bird feeders. I haven't set traps 'cause I don't want to see dead rats...I'm a wuss! But I may have to resort to it if they attempt to come back into my garage. Sometimes it's just best we don't know what's behind the walls! LOL Ignorance is bliss! Hope no more surprises await you! Susan

Shell in your Pocket said...

We have done "redo" with homes..they can become very special with all the sweat put in! Can't wait to see as the job progresses!
-Sandy toes

angela | the painted house said...

That is a lot of work, girl!

santamaker said...

Wow, girl, you are doing so well handling this time of transition! It's difficult for me to see things out of order, even if I'm usually messy. Seems like you are taking it one step at a time and there's no better way to do it. I loved seeing your gratitude list!! It's always been helpful for me too.
Thanks so much for the beautiful comment you left for me. It meant so much. You are surely blessed with the ability to express your heart and soul in written form. I appreciate you!
Fondly,
Santa