“The monotony and solitude of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind.” Albert Einstein
Shhh...I'm alone. Okay, well I'm not alone because my bed (a.k.a. mattresses on the floor) is in the living room and hubby is asleep and Mr. Big is having a sleep over with us out here, and the dogs, and teenage girl is in her room on the computer. But, teenage boy is out somewhere, so one of my peoples is not home. But, for the moment I have no interruptions. No phone, no one screaming mom, no projects screaming for my attention, just me and my news on television and my diet coke. In case you didn't know, I am a news junkie. It's a sickness and I can't get enough of it. I've tried, but I can only go so long.
So, looking back over the week, it's been a long week here. Poor hubby has been working from 3:00 a.m. (or earlier) and not leaving the shop before 6:00 p.m. He's simply exhausted. I was at work 3 days this week myself (and I don't go in to the shop) and I would have been there yesterday and today as well, but Mr. Big has been home from school with a wicked head cold.
I was sitting here looking at hubby and big sleeping side by side in this disaster of a living area and feeling like crying over the mess when I realized that this is just one more step in making this house a home and I should be thankful.
So, in this moment of quiet in my never ending chaotic life, I wanted to take a moment to be thankful and take note of my joys.
I am so thankful...
that hubby is the hardest working guy I know, next to my father.
that I have both my mom and dad alive and well and living mere blocks from me.
that I have finished all but one of the kitchen cabinet doors and that I can start priming them this weekend.
for this moment of peace tonight
for the great ideas I glean from the blogging world and the internet
for the day being filled with sunshine and wonderful temps
for taking the time to play Uno with Mr. Big today
for pumpkin spice coffee on crisp autumn mornings
that I am learning to step out of my comfort zone
that I'm taking time to get back to the things that bring me joy every day
for not stressing out because I am not certain what to do in my bedroom
for forgiveness
for being blessed with an abundance of work; may it continue
On the homefront...
I've decided that since it may be a long while before I am able to afford new stainless steel appliances, I am going to paint the kitchen cabinets a cream color rather than black. I would be so stressed out about getting stainless appliances if I painted them black that it would be just beyond my ability to be patient and wait for what could be a couple of years for new appliances. The goal this weekend is to get the bedroom re-insulated and get the new drywall hung. If all goes well then perhaps we will even get the taping done. I have to make the final decision on the paint color(s) this weekend too. I'm debating and I'm torn on what to do. I want the bedroom to have a simple cottage look, Pottery Barn with a touch of bling. I'm hesitant to use a color on the wall because I love to change things. I like the idea of being able to switch out bedding or sheet colors or accent pieces without being limited due to a color on the wall. We are considering either a tongue in groove ceiling or putting planking on one wall as an accent. I'm considering painting horizontal stripes or putting beadboard on the walls too. The colors I'm leaning towards are two shades of cream. I'd love any input you could suggest. the room is really really small and simple. It's a 14x14 room and we currently have mahogany furniture. I am going to make a headboard, probably fabric covered and I'm going to make a platform for the bed with cubbies underneath for baskets (we need the storage). I still have to decide on a color to paint the platform too. What would YOU do?
Have a Wonderful Weekend!!!
7 comments:
I have 2 colors I love. Ben Moore Powell Buff and monroe bisque. They are nice creams.. I did a tone on tone stripe in a tan for a client and it turned out nice. I think it is in one of my earlier posts.
I think it is hard because I know I want to do everything to my home at once, but there's not the time or money...so it's baby steps. Besides, there's so much clutter, I can't see anything anyway! ;)
I'm always hesitant about horizontal stripes, but that's just me. I have done vertical stripes in a tone on tone pallet using a satin paint and a high gloss paint in the same color. Really liked how it turned out.
I do like beadboard. I think that would be really cool.
Can't wait to see how your kitchen and bedroom turn out. Good luck on your projects this weekend!
Hi Suzann! I think your smart to wait for stainless; maybe they'll be outta style soon anyway (with fingerprints always showin!lol) As far as your bedrm I think your plans sound gorgeous! I am starting to paint all my walls white because I too like changing and can't stand being locked into a color!!!Even though I keep painting and getting no where;So the diningrm paper will be comin down after the first of the year; nuts but neutral is best for us "need change" people!lol PB style with glitz is my favorite!! Don't work too hard this weekend - Sincerely, Jeannette
You sound like an exceedingly busy woman! I love decorating. I tend to gravitate toward blues with some red. Blues are soothing to me. Red is a spirited color. But I change things about the whole house, and these colors work well for me throughout. I'll be anxious to see photos! By the way, cream is nice for cabinets. It's what mine are, and they always seem clean and crisp and bright.
Brenda
I like your list of things to be thankful for. We all need to remind ourselves about the good in our lives. I like color on walls...and I've found so many colors that are great neutrals and still allow you to change things out. I have a really pretty taupy, mossy, grey, brown green (lol yes it looks like a different color depending upon what you put around it) We've used it in a bunch of rooms in our house...and it seems like every color I use with it looks awesome! Good luck with all your projects. I'm looking forward to the pictures!
I enjoyed reading your list of many blessings! I hope you are having a great weekend.
~Kelli
I like your thankful list! Sounds like you've got lots going on in the home remodeling area :-) The only room I've ever painted a cream is my guest bedroom and it's Ralp Lauren but I can't remember the name. All my other rooms are yellow, except my bedroom and kitchen. I find yellow to be a sort of neutral. I change things around all the time.
Manuela
Post a Comment