So...
We're redoing the stairs (yes, it's Christmas and we're insane)
The risers will be white, the treads stained.
Here comes the question...
The handrails and balusters (those kooky spindles)
The handrails (and base) will be stained.
Should the balusters (those kooky spindles) be stained OR should we paint them??
Frankly - I'm leaning towards staining them simply because of the upkeep issues.
But, I do love the look of them painted.
So, I ask you...What would YOU do??
4 comments:
Easier to do and easier to keep up with?
Go with that one.
Either one would be beautiful, why make things harder on yourself?
Easy upkeep is how I usually end up making my decisions. :) Maybe you could vary the stain color just a bit lighter -less coats? You could always match to the darker easily. (Note: I do NOT have much experience with stain.) Or, a white-wash treatment over the stain? O.K, one more thought.... We have to active teen boys, and we have been in our home for 10 years. Our walls going upstairs get a lot of wear & tear, but the balusters -I have never had to anything but dust. :) The seem to be off limits of scuffs and dirt. (They are not white though, just natural wood matching the railing and steps.) Sorry for the "book" of thought! Good luck!
O.K., I must be obsessed.... I saw a post today referring to wainscoting. And, I thought I might direct you to it, and you can see what their banister, et. al. looks like with white & stain. Not what you are planning, but it can help you with a visual... more that you need to know! :)
Duh! Here is where I was the post:
http://willowispandrea.blogspot.com/2010/12/stairway-makeover-work-in-progress.html
Post a Comment